This week The University of New Mexico is the epicenter of a new event that brings together Esports competitors from across the state.
The inaugural New Mexico Educational Esports Classic is a first of its kind event happening at UNM. It will showcase Esports as an educational sport, an idea that is gaining momentum across the country.
“It’s here and it’s happening, and we want people to see all the potential that comes with Esports,” explained Bernardo Gallegos, UNM Esports advisor. “We’re holding an exhibition tournament and livestreaming the finals on Twitch.tv – which is incredible exposure for UNM Esports and also Esports teams across New Mexico.”
Twitch.tv has and aggregate daily average audience of about 2.5 million viewers and is sure to bring an uptick to the UNM Twitch’s 530+ followers.
The exhibition semi-final tournament will be held this week. Then on Nov. 5, tournament competitors and their coaches will come to the UNM Main campus in Albuquerque to compete in the finals, which will be livestreamed on UNM’s Twitch channel.
New Mexico Educational Esports Classic inaugural competition teams:
- University of New Mexico (UNM) – Host Team
- New Mexico State University (NMSU)
- New Mexico Institute of Mining Technology (NM Tech)
- New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU)
- Early College Academy, Albuquerque Public Schools (APS)
- La Cueva High School, Albuquerque Public Schools (APS)
- Los Alamos High School, Los Alamos Public Schools
- New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI)
- Portales High School, Portales Municipal Schools
- Rio Rancho High School, Rio Rancho Public Schools (RRPS)
- Sandia Preparatory School
“What we’re really hoping to accomplish here is to educate people on esports and how they can be relevant to the educational experience,” Gallegos said.
UNM players with the varsity (Turquoise) and jk (Dusk) League of Legends teams will be competing, in addition to Rocket League competitors.
The UNM Esports team will provide insights and color commentary on the livestreamed final. They will also interview players and coaches. Due to COVID limitations, only players, coaches and members of the media will be allowed in during the competition. Lobos and community members are encouraged to watch on Twitch TV. The final will also be telecast to TVs in the UNM Student Union Building atrium.
This event is being sponsored by UNM Esports, Riverside Technologies, Inc., Hewlett-Packard, Inc., ViewSonic, NMSU Esports, NMT Esports and PNM.