Nurturing families and communities is the central vision of the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee (USBC), and to that end, August is National Breastfeeding Awareness Month. In order to bolster and encourage these efforts, The University of New Mexico (UNM) provides breastfeeding education, information and resources to parents year-round.
With 25 lactation stations available to nursing parents, the Women’s Resource Center (WRC) provides a comfortable space offering privacy and support to anyone who needs to breastfeed or pump while on campus.
In the past, the WRC was the default location for these stations, but with a high demand for their use, more locations began to pop-up around campus.
“The need for lactation stations is proven time and again,” said Caitlin Henke, program specialist at the WRC. “We’ve reached about 9,000 uses annually, and that number continues to grow.”
As part of their mission to champion parents who are nursing, the WRC recently participated in this year’s Big Latch On event, a community gathering and celebration to promote and support breastfeeding. Lactation stations are becoming more common on university campuses, and UNM has been one of the leading advocates in New Mexico for accommodating nursing faculty, staff and student parents, and hopes to continue to grow these support services.
Lactation stations – main campus
- Centennial Science and Engineering Library, Room L179*
- Communication and Journalism*†
- Johnson Center*†
- Office of Equal Opportunity*†
- Ortega Hall, Room 235
- Student Union Building: (2 stations)*†
- Women's Resource Center*†
- Zimmerman Library*†
- Anthropology Building, 2nd floor restroom
Lactation Stations – North Campus
- Baseheart, 1312 Baseheart SE*
- Carrie Tingley Hospital, Room 3013B*
- Continuing Education†
- Domenici Education Center, Room B107A (inside women’s bathroom)*
- Family Health 1209 Clinic, 1209 University Blvd., 505-272-4400
- Family Practice Building: 2nd floor*†
- Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center*†
- Student Veteran Support Building†
- UNM School of Law, Contact Bonnie at 505-277-0886*
- UNMH Lactation Clinic, call 505-272-0480 for details on the following locations:
- Child Psychiatric Hospital (CPH)*
- Clinical Education Department*†
- College of Nursing and Pharmacy
- Mental Health Center, Marble Ave*
- UNM Hospital*
*Hospital-grade pumps available
†Ask at the front desk