For more than 20 years, the University of New Mexico has been a proud supporter of the United Way of Central New Mexico, raising millions of dollars since the campaign’s inception. Once again, UNM is kicking off its annual fundraising effort for the national nonprofit’s local office.
“The partnership we have with United Way of Central New Mexico is another way we give back to our community and help those in need,” said UNM President Robert Frank.
The UNM United Way Campaign runs through Nov. 19, with campus organizers hosting a Donut Kick-Off from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 7 at Hodgin Hall. Faculty, staff, students, and university community members are invited to attend.
In 2014, the campus-wide effort brought in over $950,000, a huge gift for the local United Way office, serving Bernalillo, Sandoval, Torrance, and Valencia Counties. This year, organizers hope to surpass that number and make an even bigger impact in the community.
- United Way Community Fund – A competitive grant process that funds health and human service programs in central New Mexico.
- 2-1-1 – An information and referral line answered 365 days a year providing assistance to families in New Mexico.
- Center for Non Profit Excellence – A program dedicated to building capacity for the nonprofits in our community through training and networking opportunities.
- Tax Help New Mexico – Volunteer income tax preparation for individuals and families across New Mexico.
- Young Leaders High School Initiative Fund – A fund supporting high school youth through grants to programs that focus on teenagers.
- Women’s Self Sufficiency Fund – A fund supporting women through grants to programs that focus on empowering women.
- Hispano Philanthropic Middle School Initiative Fund – A fund supporting middle school children through grants to programs that focus on school services.
- Mission: Graduate – A cradle to career look at improving educational outcomes with the goal of increasing degrees and certificates earned in central New Mexico by 60,000 in the year 2020.
- Family Advocacy Center – A full service center for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
The United Way of Central New Mexico is constantly working to build a better community and provide help to those who need it. Please consider donating to support this amazing cause.
To learn more about the UNM United Way Campaign and how you can help, click here.