The University of New Mexico’s Solar Splash team won 10 awards during the recent Solar Splash competition, June 5-9 in Springfield, Ohio.
The UNM team won fourth place overall and, for the second year in a row, took home the Outstanding Solar System Design Award.
The team also won:
- The Most Improved Team Award
- Outstanding Electrical System Design Award
- First place Outstanding Workmanship Award
- Second place in solar slalom
- Second place in technical report
- Third place in the 300-meter sprint
- Third place in visual display
This is the third year that UNM took part in the contest. Last year, the team placed seventh overall, and it 2016, the team placed fourth overall.
Faculty advisors to the team were Peter Vorobieff, professor of mechanical engineering, and Jane Lehr, professor of electrical and computer engineering.