Faculty member's webpage
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Gabriel Sanchez specializes in American politics.
- His research largely explores the political behavior of racial and ethnic populations in the United States, Latino health policy, and the congressional behavior of Latino and African American members of Congress.
- Over the years, Sanchez has been quoted in a wide range of media outlets including the NY Times, BBC, Houston Chronicle and others.
- Sanchez was also the co-author of expert report in Pennsylvania voter ID lawsuit presented at trial and relied upon by PA Supreme Court in their decision to halt the law this week. This follows his similar efforts in the WIsconsin case earlier in the year which also resulted in lack of implementation.
- Sanchez teaches graduate and undergraduate courses on American politics, racial and ethnic politics, and political behavior.
- As the executive director of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy at UNM, Sanchez is engaged in several research projects focused on Latino health policy. This work includes a survey in development funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH) focused on identifying best practices for engaging the Hispanic population in the Affordable Care Act.
- Sanchez received his Ph.D in political science from the University of Arizona.
Additional areas of interest
Sanchez' work has been published a wide range of academic journals. He is a co-author of Hispanics and the U.S. Political System, one of the most popular Latino Politics textbooks in colleges today, and edited a book entitled Latinos and the 2012 Election: The New Face of the American Voter. Sanchez has been the principal or co-principal investigator on several large-scale surveys, including the Latino Decisions National Poll on Health Care Reform (2009), and the Collaborative Multi-racial Post-election Study (2008).
If you would like to contact this expert for a story, please call Rachel Whitt at (505) 277.5627 (office) or University Communication and Marketing (UCAM) at (505) 277.5813.