The University of New Mexico is showcasing the innovation of its students and the interactive potential of higher education at the third annual SOMOS ABQ Festival.
SOMOS ABQ is one of the largest citizen-organized events in Albuquerque and brings together hundreds of local collaborators – including nonprofits and community organizations, technologists and entrepreneurs, artists and designers, musicians and performers, chefs and brewers, business owners and public sector leaders. UNM’s sponsorship participation has grown over the years. This year, there will be several displays at the event to promote UNM’s degree programs and community in an interactive way – including the School of Engineering Lobo Motor Sports FSAE racecar, and an ARTS Lab interactive projection display.
“If there is an opportunity to showcase our students, programs and academics – UNM is there,” said James Holloway, UNM provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. “This is an excellent way for the community to engage with the innovation, research and collaboration that’s happening every day in our classrooms and on our campus. Accessible and engaging events like SOMOS can help people find new passions and could even reignite their interest in learning, exploration and investigation.”
SOMOS ABQ aims to generate a meaningful boost for the urban business economy and increased connection for the larger community. The festival is designed with an eye towards long-term sustainability and impact, specifically around the recruitment, retention and repatriation of young families. More than 25,000 people attended in 2018, with at least as many expected to join in 2019.
The University of New Mexico joins more than 70 local companies, organizations and government agencies to help make SOMOS ABQ happen. Other sponsors include Bernalillo County, the City of Albuquerque, Visit ABQ; and the first private sector title sponsor, New Mexico United.
SOMOS ABQ event attendees experience:
- Three stages highlighting locally-based musical performers
- Arts Culture Tech featuring 12 large-scale, site-specific art installations, 5 participatory arts / tech making activities and 6 immersive experiences designed by partner community organizations
- New Mexico United official pep rally, anthem performance, and live viewing party
- Nonprofit and Community Organizations sharing their missions and offering additional activities
- Mercado featuring dozens of arts, design, craft, clothing and business vendors
- Yelp Food Courtyards showcasing more than 15 local chefs and restaurants
- New Mexico Brewers Guild Craft Gardens showcasing the Downtown area’s finest local breweries, wineries, cideries and distilleries
- Special SOMOS programs, events and deals from Downtown’s brick and mortar businesses